Job Categories: Executive Chef
Position Type: Full Time
Job Region: AB – Edmonton
Salary: Competitive with benefits
Application Deadline: February 15, or until position is filled
St. John’s Institute strives to be a model centre of leadership development, a vibrant cultural hub serving Ukrainian and other ethno-cultural communities, and a catalyst for a dynamic, innovative, engaged community. We are a community developer at heart, mobilizing our resources for the benefit of the entire community, establishing connections for those individuals and organizations that do not have them, sharing information among those that need it, and leveraging the power of community and communication. Through our model of affordable housing we have developed a model of community development that feeds the entire person, body, mind and soul.
SJI is searching for a unique individual to take on the role of Executive Chef at St. John’s Institute. Reporting to the St. John’s Institute (SJI) Director of Operations (DO), the Executive Chef is responsible for the culinary team’s consistent achievement of its targets for satisfaction of the Institute’s 72 residents and the thousands of on-site and off-site corporate and private catering clients served through catered events, food festivals, golf tournaments and other special events.
The Executive Chef will report to the Director of Operations (DO), but take direction from both the Chef Consultant and Events Manager, working under the general oversight of the Executive Director (ED) to ensure that all products and services match client expectations and SJI’s growing reputation.
You are described as a strong leader with excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills who possesses the ability to exercise tact, discretion and good judgment at all times. You have Red Seal Journeyman certification or equivalent (or beyond) and solid experience in managing a kitchen team of staff, a budget, AHS Food Safe handling and kitchen cleaning procedures and schedules, equipment maintenance, inventory, and cost controls. You have extensive experience in recipe and menu creation and plating, with taste, balance and presentation paramount in your personal work. You have also developed the soft skills of people management and are interested in your staff’s professional development. You have gained progressively more responsible experiences in the food industry and are equally competent working in front of, or behind, the food service counter. You would represent St. John’s Institute as Executive Chef among restaurateurs at the highest levels of food service in Edmonton.
Your job duties will include:
- Hiring, firing and scheduling all kitchen staff, in consultation with Events Manager, subject to approval of DO
- Verifying and approving timesheets, overtime, special projects
- Menu planning, recipe creation, menu creation, ordering, inventory, costing, and pricing of menu items, according to budgets set by Director of Operations and Executive Director (ED)
- Scheduling all kitchen cleaning and ensuring it is completed on schedule
- Ensuring kitchen and personnel know AHS health regulations and maintain the kitchen to the expectations of AHS inspectors and all pertinent regulations
- Ensuring that all equipment is in good working order; working with DO to schedule repairs when necessary
- Ensuring that all meal services and catering orders adhere to budgets provided by DO and Events Manager
- Delivery of all meals for SJI residents, and catering for clients that is appropriate in both taste and presentation required by Events Manager and ED
- Ensuring that all products leaving the kitchen are up to par and that no client receives either product or service that is unbecoming of SJI’s reputation
- Producing all high-end catering with the help of additional staff already in the employ of SJI; additional contract or casual staff to be hired/contracted only with the approval of the DO and Events Manager, subject to budgetary considerations
- Staffing all food festivals and food events, together with Events Manager, by working with, and training volunteer contingents from community organizations that are part of SJI’s community sponsorship program
- Ensuring that every catered event comes in on budget, for both food and labour costs, according to template developed in consultation with Chef Consultant
- Overseeing boxed orders of bakery, delicatessen and charcuterie orders for all clients
- Delivering all culinary-related educational programs at SJI including hot lunch programs, life skills cooking programs, etc.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via email to:
email@example.com by February 15. This posting shall remain active until the position is filled.
We would like to thank everyone for their interest in St. John’s Institute but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.